Thursday, June 28, 2007

Amherst Daily News: Frank Fraser Sr. - The Richard Petty of River Glade

By BEATRICE LANGILLE // The Amherst Daily News
RIVER GLADE, N.B. – Who knew a trip to a drag race in Ontario would lead to a life of racing?Frank Fraser had no aspirations to be a racer. The driver of the Wild Mountain Blueberry Prostock machine soon found out differently.“I went to a drag race once and someone raced a car that was the same as mine. I knew mine would beat his,’’ he recalled.“I went back with my car and I beat him. That got me started in drag racing and that’s how I ended up here. I drag raced for two years but it got too expensive,’’ he added.He moved back to Saint John, N.B., in 1965 where he and a friend commenced building a stock car.This machine raced at the old Airport Speedway in Saint John.“When we went to the first race, our car cost $80 and we made $60,’’ he said. “Today you still make $60 but your car costs $8,000. I’ve been going in circles ever since.”

... continued at the link above

No comments:

Post a Comment