Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Kuno Wittmer gets a career-high 4th


Courtesy Michel Poirier-Defoy

Miller Motorsports, Utah.— Kuno Wittmer started the third round of the Speed World Challenge at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah from 5th place and was podium bound with his Realtime Racing Acura RSX but had to settle for a deserving fourth place after 13 laps of the longest race facility in America. The Montreal, Quebec driver jumped into 4th shortly after the start and was reeling in on second place by the sixth lap when the car ahead, and eventual winner, was out of power for a few seconds allowing teammate Pierre Kleinubing to pass him for third place. From then, the cars just drummed along to the stripe and Wittmer claimed fourth place, his best finish in two years.


‘‘I have to be very happy with this result even if I thought I was heading for my first podium, stated Wittmer. Pierre and I wanted to work our way up the field and we were doing just fine. When Jeff’s (Altenburg) car stalled in front of me, I had nowhere to go ; Pierre kept his momentum and managed to split us. That set me back a bit and I lost contact for a few laps and could not get back in their slipstream. It is so important to get big points in this series if you want to contend for the title and help our teammates do well. At this point we’re getting huge competition from the Mazdas but it’s a long season and we’re looking for the wind to change. This weekend, my Realtime Racing Acura was awesome by racetime and I must give credit to our team. I know we have better things waiting for us and I want to start next week at Lime Rock. ”

Meanwhile, brother Nick was at Laguna Seca teaming up with Glen Bocchino in one of the I-Moto Acura TSX in the third round of the Grand-Am ST class Koni Challenge. They were starting from 5th place also and were looking to improve their position in the field.

Glen kept a fast pace and raced hard for 65 minutes before pitting on a full course yellow and handing the Acura TSX to Nick within striking distance from the lead. Nick wnet immediately to work and was vying for another podium. But for the first time years, a mechanical gremlin was to cut the race short when a half shaft broke on the 69th lap. “I was hoping for amnother podium, said younger Wittmer, with steady lap times in the mid-41. But I lost power to the wheels and the day was done. I very disappointed for Glen who had done such good work. Usually the I-Motos machines are perfect and there was no way we could prevent this mechanical issue. We’ll have to wait only a week before we can try to make up for this misfortune and that will be in Lime Rock where Kuno will also race his Realtime Racing car.”

No comments:

Post a Comment