How else could Roche spend $44 billion?
A few initial ideas to get your creative juices going...
(1) Buy Bristol-Myers Squibb instead (current market cap=$44 billion). Why not get access to oncology/specialty products you don't already own?
(2) Buy Genzyme and Celgene (combined market cap=$50 billion). Two for the price of one!
(3) Buy majority stakes in Genzyme, Celgene, Biogen Idec, and a dozen small-to-mid-cap biotechs. If, as we keep insisting, the Genentech relationship was the most successful partnership in the history of the industry, why not repeat it on a grand scale?
(4) Buy Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Roche is a banker, after all, and these two depressed assets are surely a good value. Best of all (believe it or not) Roche could buy them both and still have over $20 billion left to shore up their cash reserves. America is saved!
(5) But a $16 Terrace Level ticket for dollar dog night at Citizen's Bank Park. Take in the Phillies vs. Marlins in a critical September showdown. Purchase 43,699,999,983 hotdogs. Tip the guy a buck.