Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Paul Tracy press conference quotes, from Edmonton

From IndyCar

Vision Racing driver Paul Tracy met with members of the media in Edmonton. Select quotes are below:

“It’s good to be back. Obviously, everything came together kind of last minute. I’m excited about the opportunity with Derrick Walker, Vision Racing and Subway as the sponsor. We’re going to jump into the deep end here, but I think the team’s motivated, I’m motivated to do well, and if we can have a good result, we’ll see what develops for the future. That’s really the first step in getting back into the series full-time.”

(About pressure) “Not really. I’m not in a points battle. There’s really no pressure from where you finish in the championship. For me, it’s an opportunity to get going. We’re just going to take it step-by-step everyday. I haven’t driven since Long Beach, and the team hasn’t competed at this level since Long Beach, so from that standpoint we’ve just go to do the best we can. We all want to do well. Our expectations are to do well, but really haven’t set any type of goal for myself like we have to win the race or anything like that. We’re just going to go out there and do the best job we can. There’s always a possibility to win a race no matter what happens during a race. Anything can happen in motor racing, we’re going to give it the best we can, but I haven’t come here saying we’ve got to go and out run everybody, because I think that would just be setting yourself up for disappointment."

(About competition this weekend) “I’ve pretty much raced against everybody in the series at one point or another. Scott (Dixon) and Helio (Castroneves), I haven’t raced against Dan (Wheldon) and a couple other guys in the series, but all the frontrunners I’ve run against in my career.”

(About Edmonton) “You really have to be quick here to do well. It’s kind of like Cleveland where if you’re not on the pace, you’re really going to struggle. From that standpoint, the car has got to be good here. To stay in the front, you have to have the pace to do that, because it’s not too difficult to pass. I’ve been here before, Justin (Wilson) has been here before, the Champ Car guys have been here before, but the top level at this game, guys like (Scott) Dixon, Helio (Castroneves) and (Tony) Kanaan, they can learn a track in 10, 15 minutes. From that standpoint, there’s a small advantage maybe going into the first practice, second practice, but by the time qualifying comes, the top teams will have it figured out.”

No comments:

Post a Comment